GRADUATE STUDY OF PHYSICS AND COMPUTER SCIENCE
Title of the study: Graduate Study of Physics and Computer Science
Study holder: Josip Juraj Strossmayer University of Osijek
Performer of the study programme: The Deparment of Physics
Duration of the study: Two years (4 semesters)
ECTS credits: The proposed graduate study programme proposes a minimum of 120 ECTS credits
The proposed Graduate Study of Physics and Computer Science can directly be enrolled by students who have completed Undergraduate Study of Physics at the Department of Physics, University of Osijek. Students who have completed Undergraduate Studies of Physics at some other Croatian universities can enroll the graduate study after passing necessary exams.
Upon completion of the proposed study programe the candidate will develop following competencies:
Upon completion of the proposed study program the candidate will be able:
• To apply the scientific method and concepts of modern physics (atomic physics, nuclear physics, condensed matter physics, quantum mechanics) on solving various numerical and/or conceptual problems.
• To accurately perform measurements, tabulate and graphically display the results. Statistically process, interpret and evaluate the results in the context of the application of physical laws and the evaluation of cause-and-effect relationships with given contents.
• To apply the laws of quantum physics to the approximate solution of the motion of complex multiparticle systems
• To explain the basic physical properties of semiconductors, diodes and transistors and basic types of amplifiers. Analyze simple electronic circuits with basic electronic elements and evaluate the results obtained by solving tasks.
• To apply the acquired knowledge about the structures and principles of operation of different physical systems in other areas. Understand the connection of chaotic behavior of physical systems with other systems in nature and society.
• To explain the interaction of matter with sources of ionizing radiation. Use different measuring devices for measuring the dose rate and concentration of ionizing radiation. Evaluate different approaches and principles of radiation protection.
• To describe and evaluate the basic concepts of statistical analysis and computer data processing.
• To define the concept of information theory and consider it in an interdisciplinary context. Describe the model of a communication system and explain the relationship between information and entropy.
• To recognize the benefits of a project approach in solving business problems in a changing environment. To design, launch, implement and evaluate ICT projects.
• To distinguish artificial intelligence from natural. Use expert systems as well as agents and multi-agent intelligent systems. Use inference rules in indirect logic. Use neural networks in decision making.
• To define basic concepts of educational psychology. Distinguish stages of individual development. Explain the relationship between the teaching process, memory and learning outcomes. Explain the relationship between individual cognitive development, personality, and education.
• To define basic concepts from different theories of motivation and emotion. Analyze and select procedures to motivate students in teaching. Describe and critically analyze class processes and select appropriate ways to manage the classroom.
• To explain and analyze the structure of the school and teaching. Critically analyze contemporary pedagogical theory and relate it to school practice. Analyze educational problems in working with students with different needs in teaching practice.
• To describe didactic theories, directions and models. Analyze the curriculum. Design a lesson using modern teaching strategies. Design and apply different methods of evaluating the acquired knowledge.
• To adopt and comment on the subject curricula of physics and informatics in primary and secondary schools. Use and evaluate literature for teaching preparation. List the most common students missconceptions related to the adoption of basic concepts, as well as ways to eliminate them.
• To apply modern approaches to teaching physics and informatics and use modern teaching methods. Design, prepare and perform a lesson. Apply special forms of educational activities for students with special needs.
To define measurable learning outcomes in the teaching of physics and informatics in accordance with the subject curricula. Evaluate the performed teaching (self-analysis). Apply appropriate methods of monitoring and evaluating students’ knowledge and skills
POSSIBILITIES OF CONTINUING THE STUDY
Upon completion of the study, master’s degree holders can pursue Doctoral Studies in Physics or Computer Science / Computer Engineering in the Republic of Croatia or abroad under conditions prescribed by the relevant higher education institutions.
PROFESSIONAL OR ACADEMIC TITLE AWARDED UPON COMPLETION OF STUDIES
Master of Education in Physics and Computer Science