The Department of Physics is actively involved in the development of the city of Osijek, the region, and Croatia in general. Its mission is to encourage the development of academic education of students and the provision of educational, research and other intellectual property services to all interested users, individuals and legal entities. The mission of the Department includes structure and performance of university studies at undergraduate and graduate levels in physics, engineering and computer science. Within its work it needs to create new knowledge and promote the latest scientific knowledge and achievements of national and international educational and research institutions and individuals, and to pass this knowledge to students and entrepreneurs in practice.
The Department of Physics will accomplish its mission through:
Constant investment in quality:
- teaching based on current scientific knowledge about education, market needs and
the needs of the student;
- research and management methods in research projects
Strong motivation to excellence:
- of the teachers; in carrying out educational and research duties, and cooperation
with the public
- of the employees; while performing their professional duties, and additional
- of the students; in teaching, research, building of their knowledge, professional
personality and active changes of the society
Continuous improvement of the quality of programs of undergraduate and graduate students that will prepare our students for a continuous professional development and leadership roles in a dynamic global economy.
Development of mutually beneficial cooperation with other educational institutions, local and regional communities, government agencies and the private sector.
The Department of Physics at Josip Juraj Strossmayer University will continuously aim towards the establishment of educational and scientific center of excellence in some
branches of physics (radiation physics, statistical physics, condensed matter physics, atomic physics, and educational physics) in order to become better known outside the borders of the Republic of Croatia. We have to provide an appropriate level of quality of education and scientific research through the implementation of the teaching process. We also tend to provide studying conditions for the optimal number of students, as well as a qualitative research implementation.
The Department of Physics bases its development vision on the tradition of continuous investments into knowledge and education quality, as well as into an optimal
application of new knowledges and technologies in a constantly changing environment.
Students, their families and employers expect a qualitative, lifelong education adapted to
the needs of the individual and the market.
We are planning significant investments into:
- Employees (attracting, developing and retaining highly motivated and qualified teachers and staff, investing in their development).
- The quality and effectiveness of teaching, learning and research.
- Promotion and Development of the Department as a recognizable brand:
- better co‐operation with the public;
- enhancement of the impression that the department has on students;
- qualitative promotion of programs on the market;
- cooperation with the industry;
- cooperation with other educational institutions
Information and communication technologies, development of systems that will allow maximum use of technology in teaching, learning, research, management, and
communication with the public.
Graduates of the Department will be required on the market as excellent and well educated people, competent to deal effectively with problems within their scope. In general public, the Department will be recognized as a socially responsible institution in the field of its scientific, educational and professional activities.