welcome to the web site of the Department of Physics. The Senate of the Josip Juraj Strossmayer University established on the 13th of December 2004 the Department of Physics as a scientific-educational component of the University. The Department opened it’s doors on April 1st, 2005, and today it takes part in the performance of university undergraduate and graduate studies as well as the development of scientific and technical work in the scientific field of physics. The establishment of the Department of Physics has ensured the continuity of university teaching in natural sciences, in the field of physics, as well as the training of teachers of physics and computer science, for teaching at primary and secondary schools in the Republic of Croatia.
In the academic year 2005/2006 the Department of Physics started with a new program that complies with the Bologna Process and the Law of Scientific Activities and Higher Education. The Department of Physics has a license for a three-year university undergraduate study of physics (180 ECTS, for the academic title university Bachelor (baccalaureus / baccalaurea physics), and a licence for a two-year university graduate study of Physics and Computer Science – educational specialization (120 ECTS , for the academic title of Master of Education in Physics and Computer Science).
Due to a relatively small number of enrolled students there is a full implementation of the Bologna Process. Our students attend lectures in small groups of 10 to 15 students, and the teaching process includes homework, seminars, quizzes. In this way, a collaborative relationship between teachers and students has been established. Students work continuously throughout the semester which enables them to pass the exams easier.
Benefits of studying at Department of Physics:
- contemporary curricula designed in line with the Bologna Declaration,
- work in small groups of students,
- modern infrastructure and equipment (laboratories, teaching aids),
- system of rewarding the best students,
- teaching material available on the web site,
- rapid employment of graduates,
- teachers and researchers who are permanently improving and monitoring trends in the development of science and modern technology,
- computer equipment and implementation of international information technology in supporting of activities of the Department,
- opportunities for interdisciplinary research,
- care for employees and students.
Dear students, I wish you much success in studying, good cooperation with teachers, and successful completion of studies.
Head of Department
Branko Vuković, PhD., Associate Professor